Lithium-Ion Battery Sparks Blaze, 300 Scooters and E-Bikes Destroyed in NYC Warehouse
It took several hours for firefighters to contain the inferno at the four-story Stop and Stor in Sunset Park
Investigators believe a lithium-ion battery started a fire in a Brooklyn warehouse where about 300 scooters and e-bikes were stored.
The FDNY received notification of a three-alarm blaze Sunday just before 1 p.m.
Firefighters found heavy smoke billowing from the Stop and Stor in Sunset Park, with three e-bikes ablaze.
It took several hours for firefighters to contain the fire at the four-story warehouse facility.
At least one firefighter suffered smoke inhalation due to a faulty mask.
Investigators combing through the scorched structure later found 300 e-bikes, mopeds, and scooters inside.
All the e-bikes and scooters were dragged into the street after the fire was extinguished. Stop and Stor’s website states flammable materials are prohibited in storage units.
Officials said the warehouse’s sprinkler system was too weak to suppress the fire.
A total of 33 units sustained fire and water damage. Later, all the e-bike and scooter batteries were destroyed, officials said.